Art Defenderfer, M.A., M.F.T.
Education, Training & Service
You can benefit from my many years of experience, specialized training and education. I am a seasoned therapist dedicated to helping you reach your personal, academic and career goals. Part of my sensitive approach to therapy comes from my spiritual heritage. After searching various philosophies in college, I became a Christian and now am a Senior Pastor. I am also a leader in the Good Shepherd International Fellowship, established in 1975 to promote unity among ministers and churches in the Body of Christ.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, 1988, License # M.F.C. 24393
- B.S. in Applied Behavioral Sciences, University of California, Davis – 1974
- M.A. in Educational Psychology (M.F.T. Emphasis), University of San Francisco – 1982
- Associate Arts in Practical Theology, Christ For the Nations Institute – 1978
- Enjoying Wholeness – A Day with Virginia Satir and June Singer
- Anxiety and Depression
- Anger Management
- The Developing Mind
- How the Brain Forms New Habits: Why Will Power is Not Enough
- Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
- Attachment: From Early Childhood Through the Life Span
- Vicarious Trauma and Resilience
- Compulsion to Repeat the Trauma
- Advances in Complex Psychological Trauma and PTSD
- Specialized Training in Subconscious Analysis and Therapy
- One-on-one clinical training with Louis Boswell, M.D. (one of America’s early pioneers in Subconscious Analysis and Therapy)
- Extensive training with Jerry Townsend and Carl Thompson. (They authored, "Subconscious Analysis and Therapy" the first continuing education course of its kind to be approved by the California Board of Behvavioral Sciences).
- Specialized Christian Counseling training with ordained minister, Carol Dew (A gifted "Sozo" therapist and outstanding teacher).
Awards and Recognition
- Highest Honors at Graduation – U. C. Davis – 1974
- An Outstanding Young Man of America – U.S. Jaycees – 1984
- Listed in Who’s Who in the West – 1994
- President’s Honor Club – Success Motivation Institute – 1988
Popular speaker for many years at service clubs and on radio on such topics:
“Positioning Yourself for Success”
“Removing Subconscious Blocks to Success”
Assistant General Superintendent – Good Shepherd International Fellowship
Administrator – Good Shepherd Counseling Center
Executive Director – Healing Arts Foundation